On April 1, 1918, The Rev. Dr. Charles Wesley Shreiner officially opened Church Farm School when five young boys from West Philadelphia bedded down on straw ticking in an old cannery. Over the next 100 years, Shreiner, his supporters and their successors worked tirelessly to accrue enough money and land to ensure that any young man of “academic ability and promise” could attend the school at little to no cost. The school sustained itself largely as a working farm until the early 1980s - students worked the farm half the day, and studied the remainder of the day. When the need for phasing out farming operations became a reality, the school made the decision to sell off most of its acreage and create an endowment for the future support of the school. Today, Church Farm School serves a diverse student body of 200 young men in grades 9-12 from the mid-Atlantic and around the world. Each comes to the school for an opportunity to fulfill their dreams of a better future; one still made possible by the generosity of donors who want to make a meaningful difference through the values of education.